At a Glance
- Asian sizes tend to run smaller compared to US or UK sizes. They tend to vary per country, but the most common sizes are from China, Japan, and Korea.
- China uses two different sizing systems, which measure two different parts for the body. For example, a US size medium is a size 88-90 or 165-170 in China.
- Japan uses the lettered sizing system (XS-XL), which tend to run smaller than US or UK sizes. The country also uses two numbered sizing systems as well. For example, a size 9 or 38 is the equivalent of a US/UK small.
- Korean clothing has a very simple numbered system. A size 55 is the equivalent of a US size small.
- If a clothing item runs in “free size” or “one size,” do not buy it if you are a size 4 or above in the US.
Men & Women & Children
Women’s sizes are far more diverse than that for men and children. Aside from standard sizes, there are clothes labeled according to body type such as petite, curvy, and tall. There are also plus sizes, maternity sizes, and vanity sizing. To determine a woman’s clothing size, you need to take measurements of the following body parts or areas: (1) chest, (2) waist, (3) first hip or low waist, (4) hips or second hip, (5) and height.
- Size, posture, and figure determine men’s clothing sizes. Using a measuring tape, the following measurements are generally needed: (1) chest, (2) waist, (3) hip, and (4) leg or step length.
- To determine your pants size: (1) Take your waist size at the top of the hipbone over the shirt and not over your pants. (2) Get your inseam measurement from the crotch base to the top of your shoes. (3) Your hip size is determined by measuring the circumference of your hips while keeping the tape horizontal.
- You can also determine your jeans size by measuring an existing pair of jeans that fit you well. Lay your jeans on a flat surface and take the measurement of the (1) width of your jeans at the upper corner of the pants’ waistband, your (2) inseam by measuring your crotch down to the bottom of your jeans, and your (3) rise by beginning at the crotch of your jeans to the top of your waist.
- When purchasing a shirt, there are four essential measurements you have to determine: (1) neck, (2) chest, (3) waist, (4) sleeve length.
CHILDRENS SHOE SIZES
Childrens Clothing Sizes by age.